Paneer, cubed - 1 cup
Cinnamon Stick,small piece - 1
Cloves - 3
Elachi /Cardamom - 5
Bay leaf - 2
Onion, chopped - 2
Tomato Puree(Grind tomato to pulp in blender) - 3/4 th cup
Black Pepper - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
Coriander Powder/ Dhania Powder - 2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Cashew nuts - 10-12 pieces
Almonds(badham nut) - 6
Fresh Cream - 1/2 cup or less
Kasuri Methi,crushed - 1/2 tsp
Butter - 2 tsp
1. Add oil in pan/kadai. Once hot, saute paneer for 2 mins till they turn mild brown in color. Then add this to a hot bowl of water and leave it(This will keep paneer softer and wont make it hard while adding in gravy. I follow this tip all the time)
2. Now in a pan add oil or butter, then saute cinnamon, cloves ,elachi and pepper. Once the aroma comes start adding cashew nuts then almonds and stir for few mins. Now add onion, ginger garlic paste and saute one by one. Then add tomato puree. Saute for few mins.
3. Now add the dry powders like turmeric powder,chilly powder, coriander powder,garam masala and salt. Once the raw smell leaves(this will totally take 10 mins), remove from pan and let it cool. Then blend them smooth in a blender.
4. I always follow chef harpal singh's method in paneer gravies. That is he always filters them using a colander mesh and all the smooth part can be collected from the gravy and the thick chunks stay in the filter. See the pic above for idea.
5. Now again heat pan and add some butter, now add this smooth paste and let it cook for few min. Add some water say 1/2 glass of water and let it cook. Now add salt and when they start to thicken little bit add paneer and fresh cream. Let it cook for 5 min and switch off the flame. Garnish with kasthuri methi leaves and serve it hot with chapathi or Garlic Naan.
Points to Remember: Do not cook more than 5 mins after adding paneer, other wise the paneer will get hard. Try to keep paneer in hot water, you will get soft texture. Try and let me know. I like to filter the sauteed gravy and it gives a smooth texture. Do try this method. You will get a rich gravy. You can add coriander leaves if you don't have dry methi leaves.